Saturday, July 12, 2008

An exercise to increase my power and prescence with others

I am challenging myself to begin using my own authority for a week. That means I want to stop saying things such as, "I have to go now. My parents are making dinner." Instead I will say, "I want to go now because I want to eat dinner with the folks and I feel our friendship can use the time away so we can come back together with new stories and a fresh perspective."

Got it? That's right. I no longer have to do anything as if unseen puppeteers were pulling my strings. On my own f*cking authority from now on. That means I will say I am doing things because you want to. It's my choice.

Here are a few other examples:

"I need to get to work on time." change to: "I want to get to work on time."

"I am going to talk with you for five minutes then I have to get back to my friends." change to: "I am going to talk to you for five minutes then I am going to go back to my friends." (notice the missing 'have')

"I can't eat that because I need to lose five pounds for a wedding." change to: "I don't want to eat junk food. I have chosen to get into shape."

"The boss wants me to tell you to have the reports done on time." change to: "I want you to have the reports done on time."

Taking total responsibility. I will just do it for a week. Even when there is an outside authority dictating my actions, I will pretend there is only my will and desire when I talk with others. Who knows what will happen.

No comments: