Wednesday, July 2, 2008

"The Easiest" area to start at.

I think starting with improving my health and fitness should be a no brainier. There are plenty of resources and stuff online. Since I have been working out, I will just step it up. I have committed to working out at home. I just purchased P90x, and a set of "x-vest turbo bells" adjustable dumbbells that go from 5-60 lbs, and some other fitness equipment.

As for nutrition I started taking the following supplements:

  • Optimum nutrition Opti-Men Multivitamin (I actually feel different)
  • NOW Whey Protein with No Artificial Ingredients!
  • Sundown nutrition Salmon Oil 1000 mg Softgels
I personally like the nutrition advice on T-nation.com, especially from Dr. John Berardi. Here is what I will try eat, in plain language, a diet based on garden vegetables, especially greens, lean meats, nuts (excluding peanuts and cashews) and seeds, little starch, and no sugar. That's about as simple as I can get. I notice that keeping my grocery cart to the perimeter of the grocery store while avoiding the aisles is a great way to protect my health. Food is perishable. The stuff with long shelf life is all suspect. If I can follow these simple guidelines I should be able to benefit from nearly all that can be achieved through nutrition.

Foods I will try to Avoid?
Excessive consumption of high-glycemic carbohydrates, they include rice, bread, candy, potato, sweets, sodas, and most processed carbs. Processing can include bleaching, baking, grinding, and refining. Processing of carbohydrates greatly increases their glycemic index, a measure of their propensity to elevate blood sugar.

When I get a bit braver, I will post pictures of my progress as others do on the p90x message boards.

No comments: